Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Bicycle Built for Two

Brett and I took a night away and went to Frisco and Vail and it was just what we needed. On Friday morning we had the wonderful idea to rent bikes and ride around Frisco. I thought we would be renting two separate bikes but I was incorrect (as you can probably guess from the title). Instead Brett rented us a tandem bike and to say that I wasn't thrilled is an understatement. Brett steered and I rode in the back, where I was only able to see glimpses of what was in front of us. I was freaked out from the beginning and it was only made worse when I got my showlace caught in the gears as soon as we took off. After many tears, a couple of proclamations that we were going to die (unreasonable I know but I was FREAKED), seeing a 7 year old riding a tandem bike with her father, and Brett figure out rather than asking if I was ready (the answer was always no) he would count 1, 2, 3 and then push off, we were able to ride the bike and it was a lot of fun. While we were riding I had a realization that riding this bike is very similiar to our relationship with God. God is steering and riding in the front of the bike, while we are riding in the back only able to see bits and pieces of what is ahead of us. No matter how many times you hestiate or stop/start the bike it does not change the outcome of the trip and really it only creates a greater sense of anxiety about what it ahead. In reality it is just easier to help pedal and trust that the person in the front (God) knows what he doing and where you are going. When I did my daily bible reading from my one year bible on Friday I came across this verse which I thought was fitting:

The Lord directs our steps, so why try to understand everything along the way?
Proverbs 20:24

Here are a few pictures to share the beauty in the mountains. (Please excuse the tight rolled jeans, while out of style they kept us from getting them caught in the bike gears)



Brett and I in Vail Village in Vail, CO. It was probably 65 degrees and we were loving it. (It was 48 degrees the next morning at 7:30 when we went for our bike ride)
This smile to too sweet!! (The first time seeing Mommy since we got back, I imagine this is what we look like when we run to God)


As a side note Callum did great with his grandparents and did not even seem to realize that Brett and I were gone until we returned. He spent the next day clinging to Brett and I but know he has forgiven us for leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment