Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Oh, Dear

Yesterday I took Callum to the grocery store and I was reminded that we are getting closer and closer to his 2nd birthday everyday. I should start by saying that Callum loves the fun shopping carts! Whether it is a car, a tractor, a spaceship, or the nondescript ones at Target, if he sees one of those before he is in the regular cart he will make his preference known. Typically I am all up for letting him ride in them, he has fun and it makes my shopping easier; however yesterday... We got in the store and there was a tractor cart which Callum made a bee line for so we headed over there. AS I was about to get him in though I noticed that the child before him had smeared ice cream and the peanut topping of a drumstick ice cream cone all over the inside. While disgusting to begin with, with Callum's peanut allergy I immediately thought "This is not a good idea." There no scenario that I could up with that I could clean up the cart and ensure that while I did it he wouldn't touch the peanuts and then touch his mouth, so we headed to get a normal cart/ Let me tell you that Callum was not on board with that plan. He threw himself on the floor in the store and started screaming. While he has done this at home a few times this was his first public tantrum. Whew!! So I picked him and tried to put him in the regular cart a few times and finally succeeded; however, he continued to scream. Luckily the nice bakery lady saw my struggle and offered Callum a distraction in the form of a sugar cookie, which calmed him down and allowed me to finish shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment