Thursday, September 13, 2012

San Francisco Anniversary/Baby Moon Trip

Brett had a conference in San Francisco and I was lucky enough to be able to tag along for the fun.  We actually headed out west a few days prior to Brett's conference and so we were able to do some sight seeing before his conference began.

We took a walking tour of Chinatown (thanks to our guidebook), so here we are at the iconic Chinatown gate. 

We came across a very neat looking park on our walk; however, we were not able to get any closer than the gate because of regulation #2.  This bummed Brett out a little bit, as he is nothing but a big kid at heart. 

Brett's sister, Melissa, is stationed with her husband at Travis AFB which is outside of Fairfield, CA about an hour north of San Francisco so she came down and joined us on our walking tour. 

In the guidebook there are a blurb about how we needed to stop at this Chinese deli and try this drink which included among other ingredients vanilla ice cream and whole red beans.  In my opinion it looked gross. Here is Brett psyching himself up to try it...  


Trying to convince himself to swallow (or really chew, which one shouldn't have to do with a drink) ir.  It tasted as good as it looked which isn't saying much.  Brett, bless his heart kept trying to drink it but after a tried a sip and it took a while to swallow the unique concoction I threw the drink away. We will be a little more leery of guidebook recommendations in the future. 

On our walking tour we also came across this gem. If you have ever wondered how fortunes get into fortune cookies, well here it is.  This is the Great Fortune Cookie company and it basically consists of 3 machines where the ladies take the hot cookies off and fold in the fortunes.  It was really fun to watch (and Brett and Melissa enjoyed the free cookies we were given).

Brett and I rented a car and drove to Sonoma and Napa one day as well.  I know that doesn't sound like a fun outing for a pregnant lady but it was beautiful and I even enjoyed a few little sips and even one wine tasting (Sutter Home make an alcohol removed wine which is really pretty good) 


At one of the wineries we even took a cave tour and got to taste some of the grapes and see how the store the grape juice as it ferments.  It was very interesting to learn the process that the wine we drink goes through to become what we have with our fancy dinners. 

On our way home from Napa we stopped and met the newest members of the Lusher family (and while Matt was there it wasn't until we left that I realized I only took pictures of the siblings, oh, well.  Next time I will do better). 

Fisherman's Wharf 

We also took a walk at Muir woods with some family friends of the Balderson family.  It was beautiful!  We also enjoyed a very delicious dinner at their home. 

I have been craving Cinnamon Rolls; however, these are hard to find Gluten Free; however, we came across a GF bakery and look what we found in their display.  It was really yummy!! 

While Brett was at his conference I went to the Asian Art Museum as well as the Japanese Tea Garden (the picture below) and the Botanic gardens. 

I thought this sign was funny at the Botanic Gardens.  I guess they either have a problem with people stealing the plants or as Brett put it getting lost in the garden. 

We have a wonderful trip and it was very nice to have some adult time.  That said though we were very ready to get home and see our rug rats, who I am happy to report must have missed us too because they literally fought over us the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment