Monday, April 23, 2012

Weaned

As the titled implies Finley is now 100% weaned from nursing and has been for almost a week (I am a little behind on my posting).  While I had intended to nurse her for at least a year (like I did Callum) that unfortunately did not happen.  I took Finley back into the doctor for her second ear infection about 3 weeks ago and if you remember the doc was concerned about F's weight gain at her 9 month visit and this was 5 weeks later so we went ahead and checked her weight.  Despite the high fat diet we had been feeding her (butter, heavy cream, or whole milk mixed in every meal) she hadn't gained any weight.  Given this information the doctor suggested that she was not getting enough milk fat and because she was old enough we should go ahead and start transitioning to whole milk.  While I was initially sad about this in the end I know that it is the best thing.  However, I am not certain that introducing the bottle (which she takes great) 4 times a day, 6 weeks before you are supposed to be transitioning to a sippy is the best plan so we have started trying to make the transition to the sippy cup; however, this is going to be a process I can tell.

This is the scene from this afternoon after I tried to
give her the sippy cup.  As her independence is
increasing so is her opinionated personality. I
sent this picture to Brett and asked him who
he thought would give in first and he guessed me;
however,... 

That was not the case and little miss drank at
least half her milk from the sippy. (And yes it
is a spouted cup and those who know about
my soap box about how much better straw cups
are we have been trying a straw one and she just isn't
getting it yet so I had to compromise on the cup.  Oh, well.)


No comments:

Post a Comment