Thursday, July 19, 2012

Look What We Found

We have found our new backyard to be full of all sorts of wildlife.  We have a variety of birds including cardinals, blue jays, and robins, and we have even found a frog.  This was the treasure that Callum and I happened upon in the yard yesterday while I was getting the grill out.  Luckily Brett was inside changing his clothes and was more than willing to come out and catch it for closer inspection (Brett LOVES to catch slimy creatures that we find in the yard for further inspection).  Once caught Brett and Callum looked through Brett's reptile book and determined that we had found a 5 striped skink.  I have to admit that even though it was slimy and creepy it was brightly colored (it goes from yellow on it's head, orange on it's back, and then green to blue on it's tail) and neat to look at.

Callum is prepared to touch it with his "lizard gloves" that he demanded.

 

Checking out the skink's sticky feet as he hung upside down in the jar 

It was decided that Brett's hand was too big to get the little guy out of the jar so Callum gave it a try.


 After our inspection we did let him go free and I am sure that he is much happier in the yard than in the jar.


No comments:

Post a Comment