Monday, June 17, 2013

Chicken Update

So I thought I should I update everyone on our chickens. We purchased the Easter chicks from what is a straight run which means it is the luck of the draw as to how many of each gender we got.  Since we had 3 chicks there were 8 different possibilities of genders we could have ended up with and 7 of those involved at least one hen; however, as our luck would have it we ended up in the 1 scenario where they were all roosters.  We couldn't believe it.  Since they were starting to crow they had to leave per city laws. Sad day.

Here is the first one we knew was a rooster

Here are all three of the roosters.

All was not lost though (and I realized that I might not have mentioned these before), we do have 3 other chicks that we got in May that are Amerucana chicks (aka Easter Eggers which means they will lay eggs with blue or green shells), so our backyard chickens have not all left.  Also we are going to get a few 2 year old hens from the farm that does our CSA next week.  Not to fret we will still have eggs, it just might take a little longer than we expected. 




No comments:

Post a Comment