Over the past few weeks I have been a bit stressed and feeling a bit distressed (possibly made worse by pregnancy hormones) about the job that I am doing as a wife, a mother, a friend, etc. While I strive to do all that I can to fill these roles I have still found myself frustrated because I feel like I am falling short. This past weekend one of the readings at church even added to my concern ...
"Be perfect, as your heavenly father is perfect." Mathew 5:48 (this was also coupled with "I am the Lord your God; consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am holy." Leviticus 11:44, what is a girl to do)
WHAT?!?!? I need to not only be good friend, wife, mother but now I need to be perfect on top of all of that. How will I ever measure up? In light of all of this I found it very interesting that I attended a Mom's group this morning and this verse was the topic of discussion. Did you know that the book of Mathew was initially written in Greek and the Greek word in this verse was TELEIOS (I am unable to write the Greek symbols)? TELEIOS translates wholesome not perfect, so really the verse should read "Be wholesome, as your heavenly father is wholesome." When we are not looking to anyone but God to fill us up (anyone else heard this message somewhere else recently?? I feel like this keeps coming up over the last few months) we can live without envy and strive to be wholesome. To be wholesome is not only self seeking but to help another to be alive to themselves and realize their purpose, which isn't this what we strive to do for our children, what a great reminder. So let's stop striving to be perfect and find the perfect things (friends, jobs, kids) and look to be wholesome instead.
One final verse which really shows God's holiness and wholesomeness can be found in Jeremiah 31:3 "I have loved you from all eternity and in my mercy I have attracted you to myself." I hope this bring some relief and enlightenment to some of you who are also striving to be the "perfect ____" each day.
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDelete