Monday, October 29, 2012

The Making of a Jack-O-Lantern

I have to assume that they talked about Jack-O-Lanterns at school over the last few weeks because Callum has been at random intervals telling us all about how you turn pumpkins into Jack-O-Lanterns and correcting us when we point out pumpkins decorations with faces on them by telling us "No that is a Jack-O-Lantern."  We had never carved a pumpkin with him before but decided that since he was so interested in it we would give it a try.  Callum is not a big one to get his hands dirty so we were not certain how he would feel about cleaning out the pumpkin "guts" but with a little coaching (and promising we would wash up when we were done) he dove right in there and cleaned out a good portion of the pumpkin himself.



The beginnings of the creative process... 

And the final product pre-carving.  Callum was insistent that all of the eyes have a circle in the middle or they were not true eyes. 

This picture cracked me up when I went back and looked at it because it pretty much sums up what each of the boys did while the pumpkin was being carved.  (Side note: The next day I roasted the pumpkin seeds that are in the bowl and they have been a hit, though Callum did first try them at school so I can't take all the credit)

And the final product...but it is not scary just in case you were wondering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment